Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Death of Blogging

Blogging among my friends has almost entirely died... and it makes me so sad. Three years ago almost all my friends had blogs and I read them daily and knew what was happening to them and what they were learning in their lives. I felt connected to them and almost felt like I knew some of them better than when I was in school with them. But then something happened- MySpace. MySpace was the first big "social networking" site and all my friends immediately jumped on the bandwagon. But it at least had a blogging capability. Then following the MySpace craze, there came the "Facebook" craze. Facebook allows people to write "notes" but there is no real blogging capability. And as my friends got into the social networking sites, they left their blogs. So now what I know of my friends are a bunch of random one-line status updates and infrequent notes. How were they able to leave blogging so easily? I seriously doubt they all keep written journals, so how are they recording their lives? I want to leave something that my children and grandchildren and great great great grandchildren can read, not to mention my current family and friends. On my blog I can record the everyday happenings of my life, the current state of the world, what God has been showing me and what I have been learning. I know I could never consistently keep a handwritten journal, but I find it simple to keep a blog. In fact, I NEED my blog. I NEED to be able to write and let out my thoughts and emotions, even if no one else is going to read it except me. I would have to say that blogging blows my mind, it is just brilliant. I do not know what it is, but it is so easy to be totally and brutally honest when writing on my blog. I would go so far as to say that my blog is more "me" than me. When you see me, you see what I show you on the outside. You can see my skin color, my clothing selection, hear me speak of this and that; but though I try to be perfectly honest in all parts of my life, it is a game to an extent because we all want to look "good" on the outside. But when you read my blog, you see inside me. You see what makes me me. You see why I am passionate. You see why I care about what I do.

So what is my point? I guess that simply put, my blog is me. And I wish that my friends felt the same way about blogging.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan.
I'm Jessie (friend of Shane, Karis, Jenna, and Tyler).
I called you once by mistake, thinking you were Shane, but you probably don't remember.

Anyway, I just want to say that I wholeheartedly agree! I think blogging is an excellent way to express oneself. Blogging beats out social networking any day. ;)