Sunday, August 17, 2008

Ignorance

It really frustrates me when I try to have a reasonable conversation with someone, but then find that they really have no idea what is going on and are just spitting air at me. One very obvious cue I have that the person does not know what they are talking about is when they start arguing using slogans and bumper stickers. Lets use President G.W. Bush as an example. We can start into what seems to be a reasonable conversation, but then I hear one or more of the following:

1. Bush is a liar
2. Bush spies on Americans
3. Bush is raping civil liberties
4. Bush is a warmonger
5. Bush is trying to build a church-state

and then the argument leveled at me

6. Well you are just a NeoCon.

When I hear these, I know the discussion is over and there is no edifying reason to continue. If they are that ignorant of what is going on that they resort to using bumper stickers as arguments, what good could possibly come from it?

I was called ignorant yesterday (by a friend), so that is what got me thinking about ignorance.

No comments: