Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Spirit Working

I have just been so blown away by God and what He is doing over the last couple days. I seriously have been smiling almost non-stop. I wish I could always be on a high cloud like this... maybe I can be? I don't know. But I have felt the Spirit so near recently. On Sunday we borrowed a dvd from church called "A Venture In Faith" which is the story of Chuck Smith and the Calvary Chapel movement... WOW! It was so spiritually refreshing to watch! I could not help but sit back and praise God for His wondrous works! I love the setup of the Calvary Chapel churches. They are very opposed to the Purpose Driven/Market Driven/Program Driven style of churches. They believe that the Word is the point, so everything is built around that. They all use a rolling-commentary style expository preaching format and just go book to book across the entire Bible! And though all the Calvary Chapel churches are independent non-denominational churches, they all tend to be in one accord doctrinally because of their emphasis of the whole Bible! If you look at the Bible as a whole and don't just ignore that parts you don't like, it makes sense that it would lead you into sound doctrine. I love that, and need that. Chuck Smith pointed out that if the focus of the church is purely evangelism and there is not spiritual meat, the people in the congregation will not be able to mature, so Calvary Chapel makes it a point to teach the Scriptures in the services, not just give a quick evangelistic message. Calvary Chapel sees pastors as equippers, not evangelists, and therefore sees the pastor's job as training and equipping the members of the church to go into the world and preach the Gospel. But the great thing is, God has used Calvary Chapel in mighty evangelistic ways just because of their emphasis on the Scritpures... even though they don't water them down. Should anyone be suprised? God's Word will never return void.

No comments: