Sunday, October 26, 2008

Amazing Grace

WOW, I just finished watching the movie "Amazing Grace" and it was the most inspiring movie I have seen in a long time. When I saw it come to dvd last year, I thought, "Oh, this must just be a sappy, long, cheap looking movie" and kept putting off watching it. Well, Hannah's mother rented it and left it for Hannah and I to watch, so I stuck it in tonight and I was a hundred times better than I ever imagined it to be! "WOW" is the only word I can use to describe it. The production quality itself is astounding and Ioan Gruffudd fills out the character of William Wilberforce so powerfully that you totally forget you are watching only a recreation of his life. The depth of his character just blew me away. Until now I had never known the story of William Wilberforce and how he with seemingly only God on his side fought the evil of slavery... and after many years of passionate devotion toward his cause and through the amazing grace of God he was able to see its end in Britain. Seeing a true story like this can not help but cause a person to reflect on their own life. He became a part of something far larger than himself and devoted everything he had to it, and just seeing it makes me think about my passion and what I am devoted toward. At this point I feel that I am most passionate about taking care of my wife and daughter. And to be perfectly honest probably right under that would be my passion to bring Christ to my unsaved friends and co-workers. But when it comes down to it, I really do not feel like I have the passion or direction that William Wilberforce had. I wish my life was that simple and I could see clearly before me my specific calling and devote everything I have toward it. At this point I feel that God wants me to devote myself to my family, but at the same time I feel that He has more, a wider mission or a bigger picture for what He wants to do with my life. I guess I will just have to be patient and wait for Him to make that clear. God is faithful, and I know He will reveal it all in His perfect time.

No comments: