Thursday, February 5, 2009

My Racist Co-Worker

So, I was up in Electronics Production a while back and heard my friends talking about the television show House. I love that show so I jumped into the conversation. A co-worker said, "Hey Ryan, so what about that ending, Foreman and Thirteen getting together. Wasn't that sick!" I asked what she meant and she said, "You know, white girl getting with a black guy... yuck! You should stick with your kind." My jaw dropped open in amazement. I had never had a friend before say something like that to me without being sarcastic! She continued, "My father taught us well. He said, 'If you ever start dating one of them*, I am gonna cut all your hair off!' One of my sisters did, and he really did it to her! Scarred her emotionally but taught her a lesson. And I told my children the same thing." I could not say anything after that because I was just so in shock that she actually believed that! Wow. That was an eye-opening experience.

I work with a racist.


*you know, those blackies

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ohmygosh! I think I'm kind of speechless too!