Thursday, June 5, 2008

Reusable Grocery Bags

Today my reusable grocery bags are being delivered! I am quite excited! Now, I know some hear this and say, "Oh no, not another green freak!" But truly, do not put me in that awful stereotype. Let me give the reasoning behind my recent purchase.

Our country uses an insanely huge amount of plastic grocery bags, and all of those bags have to be manufactured. If we all used reusable grocery bags, the energy needed to manufacture disposable plastic bags would be lessened and at least in a tiny way ease the energy crisis. Now, don't get me wrong, I do not have the absurd impression that everything will be fixed if we just stop using plastic grocery bags, but theoretically it could help in a minuscule way. Also, what happens when we bring loads and loads of plastic grocery bags home? The last thing I want to do is recycle them, so they end up piled up in the closet or in the trash to go into a landfill somewhere. What is the point of that? Basically, when given the option of using resusable bags, I find that personally I feel like I am wasting precious energy and using up needless space in a landfill by using disposable bags.

Now, let me point out again that I have no false impressions about saving the world through using these. It was hard enough finding a company to buy from that was not run by environmental radicals! Almost every company I went to proudly proclaimed that they were donating large portions of the profits to stop global warming! Aaaah! And I especially did not want a bag with the big words on the side, "One Bag At A Time." Global warming is a total hoax and I am not trying to save the world (one bag at a time) by using these bags! I think it is more practical and energy efficient to use reusable bags, that is it.

No comments: