Saturday, July 19, 2008

A New Chapter

I am beginning a new chapter in life, the "Writing Chapter." I have always wanted to write and record life in literature and now I am at the point in my life where I am ready to begin. I have two books coming in right now which I am very excited to read:

Writing Life Stories, by Bill Roorbach
Courage and Craft, by Barbara Abercrombie

I want to teach myself to write and be able to bring life to memories and life events, and these books should be able to help me do that. Hannah's mother has Courage and Craft and I have read the introduction and part of the first chapter and the author mentions that the first part of writing is finding literary inspiration through reading and encourages the budding writer to begin their journey by sitting down and reading and reading and reading. Now I have been reading a lot recently, but the books I have been reading are books dealing with politics and the Bible, not narratives. So I am very excited and after I finish my current book I am going to dive head-first into some novels. It has been years since I have read any, so it is about time I sit down and appreciate some good narratives. Hannah tells me I am not allowed to read any novels until I have read the entire Narnia series (yes, I admit, I have never read them before) so I am going to start with those. I love C.S. Lewis' writing style, so that will be fun. After those I am going to read Safely Home by Randy Alcorn. I have heard lots of good reviews of his work and have always wanted to read this book. Then I am going to read some of Hannah's favorites, the Mitford Series. Those books present life and events exactly how I would like to be able to present them myself. I would love to write my life story and have it read like a Mitford book.

So having read those novels, I will probably proceed into Bill Roorbach's book to work on my writing skills and then go into Courage and Craft which gives specific steps to putting your life onto paper.

I am very excited :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Forbidden Doors series by Bill Myers is written for a teen audience I think, But they are really good. My grandma even liked them and she is in her sixties. Give them a try when you get a chance.