Monday, October 20, 2008

Hit By A Car... Or At Least Almost

We decided to walk to the grocery store after I got home from work this evening (4 mile round trip). It was a gorgeous evening, like most here at this time of year. Riley was wearing her new purple had Nana made her yesterday and some new mittens. Hannah was wearing a sweatshirt and I had my favorite flannel shirt on. Along the way there was a sprinkler spraying water across the sidewalk, but as we watched it we realized it was moving! So we quickly ran and made it past just in time to avoid getting soaked. But our most adrenaline pumping moment was when we were crossing an intersection. We stopped as we hit the corner and saw an SUV on our left coming to a stop at the stop sign. It came to a complete stop. I looked to my right and saw many cars moving through the intersection so we started crossing. We were halfway through the first lane when the SUV started moving! I was pushing Riley Joy in the stroller and she was mostly past it, but I was right in the middle and Hannah was right behing me. It moved pretty quickly into us but right as it started to push my leg I started banging on the hood going, "Woa! Woa!" It was a lady driving and she instantly stopped and her eyes nearly popped out of her head. Her hands came to her mouth and she was in total shock but as we started moving again she called out, "Oh, I am so sorry! Are you ok?" Hannah burst into tears and I could just let out a "humph!" and motion towards our baby. I wanted her to know what she could have done. When we were safely on the sidewalk Hannah took Riley Joy out the stroller and held her and cried while I hugged the both. The woman just sat there in shock until we were a little ways away. It was quite an experience. I don't know exactly whether I could count this as being "hit" by a car, because though it put pressure against my leg, I ended up hitting it far harder than it hit me :-). But praise the Lord we are safe. Now I must go to bed, Hannah is waiting and told me she wants to cuddle before she falls asleep.

No comments: